Re: Server-specific Data Requeriments

At 09:29 AM 1/5/01 +0100, Javier wrote:
>I've been read the RFC 2251 and it tells that:
>" An LDAP server MUST provide information about itself and other information that is specific to each server. This is represented as a group of attributes located in the root DSE (DSA-Specific Entry),which is named with the zero-length LDAPDN. "

RFC2251, a Proposed Standard, also states:
   "Some attributes, termed operational attributes, are used by servers
   for administering the directory system itself.  They are not returned
   in search results unless explicitly requested by name."

as well as makes other statements regarding the default visibility
of operational attributes.

>Whitch is the problem?

That's obviously a matter of interpretation.  But since both
are reasonable, one could argue the problem is the specification.
This issue, I presume, will be addressed when the specification is
revised for draft standard status.  I direct those interested
in contributing (including arguments as to which interpretation
is "correct" or "best") to the draft status revision effort to:
        http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ldapbis-charter.html

For now, it's best to specifically ask for operational
attributes you want.