Re: Directory name Handling/Sorting

At 08:24 AM 12/17/00 -0500, Arnold Shore wrote:
>Folks, not  an LDAP question per se, but for those of you who might have
>implemented a name display listing that correctly handles non-English name
>ordering, I'll appreciate hearing about how you've accomplished that.

I have in the past implemented (not in LDAP) common name
ordering rules which handle various local naming conventions.
Due to the conflicting conventions, implementations of such can
be quite problematic.

An alternative is to have a separate attribute (orderingName)
which holds a string which can be used to independently order
entries (using some simple ordering rule).  I note that this
string can be constructed, but would raise the same problematic
issues as found above.  However, as this is a separate value,
the values can be easily altered to achieve the desired,
repeatable ordering.

PS: there might be a attribute type already defined for this
purpose, I didn't look for one.

>Like: the name for ordering purposes trails the complete name (examples from
>RFC 2426);

The values of orderingName are for example purposes only and
may not conform to any particular conventions.

>Rene van der Harten/    Harten
orderingName: Harten, Rene van der

>Robert Pau Shou Chang /    Pau
orderingName: Pau, Robert Show Chang