RE: Database vs Directory Service

I've read the referenced article, and it's quite useful.  Thanks.  But ...

Our (fed gov't) agency is in the throes of a discussion on this topic, and
I'm sure we're not unusual in that we want to add substantially to the
information base that's available currently in a the agency-wide mail
directory system.  But the information in that directory is partially
duplicated and somewhat extended in a RDBMS-based web application.

I think we need to keep both, rendering unto Caesar ... .  That is, retain
the inherent directory information/schema where it is, and also provide a
linkage mechanism to the RDBMS data.  A GUID appears key to doing that
effectively, extending both schema to accommodate that item.  The overall
application would draw on both information sources for end-user interaction,
presenting a unified appearance.

System requirements include protected/authenticated end-user update of some
of the directory information, and maintenance of personal information with a
tabular organization probably best managed by the RDBMS.

I'll appreciate hearing the thoughts/opinions/experiences/recommendations of
anyone with some insights here.  Thanks, people.

Arnold Shore
Annapolis, MD USA