Re: Another try (scalability, usage)

Adam Haberlach wrote:

>         I sent a mail out earlier looking for general LDAP information (I
> ordered the suggested book, but Amazon sent me someone else's order.  grr.)
>
> o. Is anyone using OpenLDAP for large (10,000 or so) directories?  Does it
> work well at this level?  How heirarchial is your schema?  We're looking at
> a situation in which most users will be in one organizational unit (mainly
> for authentication).

I'm currently using OpenLDAP for our production directory.  Right now it
stores around 36,000 entries.  For the most part its all under the same
ou, and it has been working great.  We're going to double the number of
entries in the next week or so, I don't expect any problems.

> o. Is anyone storing arbitrary data?  We are also looking at storing
> alternate versions of filesystems, for revision tracking.

We do some work with Netscape's roaming profiles.  There are about 10
users doing this, storing about 2MB of data each.  Thats about all we
have in the way of arbitrary data.  Alternate versions of filesystems
for revision control sounds kinda scary to me.  I would think there is a
better way to do that than storing the data in LDAP.

Good luck,
Ian
--
Ian Logan