Re: How to find server root DN?

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> At 03:13 PM 7/20/00 +0200, Mikael Grehn wrote:
> >In LDAPv3 I think this is placed in DSE attributetype "namingContexts"
> >(might be wrong here
> >thou) but for LDAPv2
> >I have no idea. This must be a quite basic question when starting a new
> >search  against an
> >"unknown" LDAP server.

Ok I will try and use "namingContexts" in rootDSE entry in the LDAPv3
servers you mentioned (it is supported there I guess?), i.e.
           root.openldap.org
           ldap.openldap.org

> For the LDAPv3 rootDSE, something like:
>   ldapsearch -P 3 -h ldap.openldap.org -b "" -s base \
>     '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
>
> For an OpenLDAP/Umich cn=config, something like:
>   ldapsearch -P 2 -h ldap.example.com -b "cn=config" -s base \
>     '(objectclass=*)' database

Is there an "unofficial" standard for "top entry"-DN for LDAPv2 (and LDAPv3)
servers?
Something like "dc=....".
If I would like to search for people with name containing "kurt" in the info
LDAP servers mentioned before (ldap.bigfoot.com, ldap.infospace.com,
ldap.switchboard.com etc) I guess a subtree search from top entry with
proper filter: (&(CN=*kurt*)(objectclass=*)) would be I correct search but
do anyone know the "top entry"-DN for these LDAPv2 server?

I noticed that ICQ uses these to get person info like mail and name
correlation. The use LDAP search so...they must know these *magic* "top
entry"-DN:s. What are they? :-)

Michael Schroeder wrote:
> Do you make your LDAP-client publicly available?

Well the company I work for might have some objections...but if I was a
*free* man I would let you have it for sure. Perhaps for a small fee... :-).
The client is user friendly with all standard operations include,
possibility to import/export selected entries to/from LDIF file.
Server/client controls for sorting result etc. *Only* anonymous/cleartext
bind sofar but Kerberosv4/v5 will be included in next release. Client also
has automatic objectclass<-->attributetype control and lots of other
features.
Sorry about this...

>Ciao, Michael.

Ehum...