Re: How to find server root DN?

Dear Santosh,

Santosh Dawara wrote:

> Dear Mikael,
>
>         I would try connecting to one of the public servers with a
LDAP client like gqView
first,

Sorry for my ignorance but what is gqView? I guess it has nothing to do
with basic LDAP
operations?

> but I think
> the purpose of describing the LDAP object with the help of the
Attribute type ObjectClass
and also the
> implementation of the API which by default, when you use ldap_search,
returns Attribute
type's and its values
> should make it simpler to describe the schema without actually having
to know it
beforehand.

But in order to perform a search towards a LDAP server I need to set a
base. So....what base
should a set
(without knowing anything about server structure) in order to start a
"top" search?.....or
how can I get the
"root base" for the actual server?

In LDAPv3 I think this is placed in DSE attributetype "namingContexts"
(might be wrong here
thou) but for LDAPv2
I have no idea. This must be a quite basic question when starting a new
search  against an
"unknown" LDAP server.

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:32:40 +0200, you wrote:
> > Howdy!
> >
> > I have written an LDAP klient (v3) that I would like to try against
> > different servers f.e. "ldap.bigfoot.com" e.t.c. These are (mostly)
> > LDAPv2 servers that doesnt support DSE (which contain root DN?). The

> > client works great with my own LDAP server (in which I know the root
DN,

--
sincerely

Mikael Grehn