Re: OpenLDAP, Active Directory Replication ...

There is a large issue with the password synchronization.

The userPassword attribute is not to be found anywhere that I can
see in AD.  For replication with other implementations of LDAP
this is a big problem.

The only visible interface to the password information is ADSI.

At the University here we did not want to try and jump through too
many hoops to use OpenLDAP->AD (or AD->OpenLDAP) replication.

We would have loved direct replication but decided rather to
synchronize users and groups between a PDC and the main OpenLDAP
server.  AD would then replicate across the AD side of things and
OpenLDAP would replicate across the OpenLDAP side of things.

The solution and policies that we are holding to are as follows:

	---------
	solutions
	---------
	- Do not replicate AD<->OpenLDAP but rather synchronize based on time
	  stamps and a shared attribute, the SID

		AD has a unique SID for every entry in the database.  Upon
		account or group creation (through a dedicated web tool),
		an account is also created on the AD side. AD automagically
		generates a unique SID so immediately we query AD for the
		same record that was just created and store the SID in the
		main OpenLDAP server.  This coupled with timestamp search
		filters gets helps us synchronize the newly modified accounts
		for an interval we currently have defined as 30 minutes.

	- Use Services for Unix 2.0 on Windows 2000 + Redhat Linux for
	  password synchronization.

		Services for Unix is a MS product running around $175.
		It comes with a precompiled pam modules that interfaces with
		a listener that resides on the 2000 or NT4 side of things.

		We modified the source code to implement nss rather than write
		to the passwd/shadow file directly (as a side note, the RSA
		libraries were NOT included with the source that MS distributed
		so we modified their source to also use a public implementation
		of tripple DES, libDES from ftp://ftp.zedz.net)

	- Use of SAMBA for mapping home directories with Samba HEAD 2.1 pre
	  coupled with LDAP for home directory mapping.

	    <elaboration upon request>

	--------
	policies
	--------
	- All password changes must come on the UNIX side.

		This is because we need to also set the lmpassword and ntpassword for
		Samba.  with SFU2.0 it IS possible to allow password changes with
		the ssod (Single sign on daemon) that is also distributed with
		source (and again also needed modification to use libDES and implement
		writing the password to LDAP instead of the passwd/shadow file)

I hope this helps at least a little bit!

--
David Bartle
Directory Services and Database Administrator

"recursion (ree-kurzhin) (n) - A mathematical function that referrs to
itself within its own definition.  see recursion"