libldap 2.4.48 compability (was: RE24 testing call)

On 6/22/19 10:08 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Saturday, June 22, 2019 11:24 AM +0200 Michael Ströder
> <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:
>
>> Furthermore I've generated RPM packages of this snapshot [1] and did
>> some short tests with Æ-DIR which uses a combination of many different
>> overlays. For now it seems to work just fine.
>
> Thanks for the extended testing Michael!

For my understanding: Does 2.4.48 require applications linked to libldap
to be rebuilt or is it ABI compatible?

In most of my tests I can use 2.4.48 as binary drop-in replacement for
2.4.47. For this to work I've patched away the "releng" suffix. [1]

But dhcpd (using LDAP as backend) refuses to correctly start when using
libldap 2.4.48. It says "Can't contact LDAP server" although the server
is reachable. Looking at its strace output and slapd syslog dhcpd does
not even try connecting to slapd. After reinstalling libldap 2.4.47
everything works again.

It's not a big deal because in this packaged environment everything gets
rebuilt anyway if OpenLDAP upgrade is pushed. But I want to make sure I
fully understand everything and there's no issue left e.g. by
introducing openldap.h.

Ciao, Michael.

[1]
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:stroeder:branches:home:stroeder:AE-DIR/openldap2/openldap-no-releng.diff?expand=1