Re: LMDB Fixed memory address mapping documentation and example(s)?

John Daly wrote:
Hi Howard --

(cc'ing openldap-devel for general interest)

Hi John,
thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, this is a feature that we never fully implemented. I can give you a rundown of how it was intended to be used, though. You have the overall concept - you must make sure that any object you want to store is marshalled into a single contiguous blob.

In OpenLDAP, the back-mdb backend already does this for us when storing LDAP entries, but it only goes half way.

Follow along in slap.h:
http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=blob;f=servers/slapd/slap.h;h=b51b5571b652e508aed5b31eee5b2ce9e930cc24;hb=HEAD#l1207

We have a struct Entry with a couple of struct berval names and then a linked list of Attributes.

http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=blob;f=servers/slapd/slap.h;h=b51b5571b652e508aed5b31eee5b2ce9e930cc24;hb=HEAD#l1167

Attributes point to an AttributeDescription and then have two arrays of struct bervals for values, and a next pointer.

So to serialize all of this into an LMDB blob we would malloc a single blob to hold an Entry struct contiguous with all of its Attribute structs and followed by all of its value arrays. The various struct fields would then point to addresses within this contiguous blob. This would be passed into mdb_put or mdb_cursor_put. Laid out appropriately, the object could be used as-is with no deserialization needed, on read.

The MDB_rel_func callback on the DB would have previously been set to a function that knows the layout of this Entry blob, and would increment or decrement all of these blob-internal pointers whenever the blob itself was moved by an LMDB operation. The instances where this occurs are when copying a read-only page to make a writable copy, when moving items in a page to fill the gap from deleting a node, and when splitting a page to insert a new node.

This latter part has never been implemented, because it turned out we never really needed it. Most LDAP entries are larger than half a page, so they wind up being written to an overflow page. Once on an overflow page, they are never moved or relocated.

In my experience, C++ doesn't give you much control over object storage layout, particularly not if you're using standard templates and other such stuff. I'm not sure how well you could leverage this capability from C++.

If you're looking at our implementation in back-mdb/id2entry.c to see how we actually store the complete Entry's, you'll notice that it's more complicated than I just described. The main reason here is that the AttributeDescription is a pointer into the slapd schema, and schema elements aren't (currently) stored in LMDB so we can't guarantee constant pointer values for those objects. Instead we had to use a mapping table from 16-bit integers to schema instances. Because of this, back-mdb still has to do some minor processing to turn an on-disk entry into a slapd in-memory entry. Doing the complete transition to persistent schema was deferred to OpenLDAP 2.6 or later.

We're investigating database (persistence engines) for use in an embedded environment and stumbled across your LMDB database. The features of LMDB map quite nicely on to our needs and the fact that its very small, very fast, and highly configurable are also extremely attractive.

Our current (home-grown) OO persistence solution/framework has a long list of problems (complicated, large, slow, etc.) that I won't bore you with. One feature/mode of your LMDB that piqued our interest is the use of 'fixed address memory mapping'. If we understand the feature correctly, we could effectively eliminate all our OO serialization/deserialization transformations by using a custom memory allocator to ensure objects-to-be-persisted are mapped into LMDB memory-mapped page space, thereby allowing LMDB (and the underlying OS virtual memory management system) to handle all our persistence needs. Is this correct?

I've watched several talks you've given on LMDB, read thru the documentation, plus many articles & blogs on LMDB, but I haven't come across much information (or explicit examples) on using the 'fixed memory mapped feature', which leads me to my questions:

Are we interpreting this feature correctly? Can LMDB be used as a persistence engine as described? If so, can you point us to documentation and/or examples that illustrate this use case? If not, any pointers on LMDBs application as an OO persistence engine would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-John

P.S. Our application is currently written in a combination of C# and C++. We're in the process of rearchitecting to address a number of issues and will be moving to a completely native (C++) implementation in the future.