Re: ITS review 9/29/2017

On 06/10/17 23:24, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Friday, October 06, 2017 10:16 PM +0100 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

its7442 - Add debug statements when index_intlen values are out of
range <https://github.com/quanah/openldap-scratch/tree/its7442>

Looks pointless.

Well, the man page is not clear on this point.  I'm fine dropping the
debug  statements, but what about the manpage updates which clarify the
min/max  allowed values?

Then we should also document all the other places where for example our
integers accept a max value of 4294967295 or 18446744073709551615 too?
It's stupid. Nobody is using 256 byte integers. Nobody is using integers
bigger than 256 bytes. (Come on, 2^2048? really?) It's a limit that no
one will ever hit in practice.

Well, I can certainly see why someone might expect they could set the minimum lower than 4 (even if that would be less than optimal). ;)  I.e., you're focussed on maxsize, but the report covers both min & max.  Any reason not to document that the default value of 4 is also the minimum allowed?  I'm fine with dropping the patch as well.

II like the original patch: Don't _silently_ change the user's config,
report the changes.

Document "4 is default and minimum value".

The max - I suppose it fell out of the implementation somewhere.
Don't lock us to that implementation.  If it's even true - there's a
char ibuf[64] in integerIndexer(), so maybe the 255 should be 64.
Haven't looked closely.  Anyway, remember keys of large integers get
a floating format.  Max integer _value_ is only limited by supported
attribute value size.