Re: Revisiting the SHA1 default password hash

Michael Ströder wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
I think it would be wise to update OpenLDAP to a different default for userPassword.

Yes!

We currently have the Contrib SHA2 module,

SHA-2 hashes with one round are also way too fast to be a good password hash algorithm.

It may be time to move the SHA2 module into core,

Yes, but there should be something stronger.

How about moving ./contrib/slapd-modules/passwd/pbkdf2 to core?

Yeah at this point we can probably bypass SHA2 and just go straight to SHA3. There's a lot of crypto software out there already using it. pbkdf2 is still using SHA2.