Re: www.openldap.org not mobile-friendly

Clément OUDOT wrote:
It will drop in Google's ratings next week because it fails the
<https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/> tests.
Maybe someone can fix the web pages up a bit?  I'm too busy now.

Already fixed in the mean-time?

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openldap.org

Or Google changed its service?

I think we need some work to have a better website. I could try to propose
a new version that uses Bootstrap to support mobile view. What is the best
way to work on this topic?

I have to admit that I'm not too excited of today's standard "responsive design" of most web sites. Bear in mind the audience visiting OpenLDAP's web site: Most times those are admins sitting at their normal workstation (with large screens) looking for technical information while working out a specific issue.

In general OpenLDAP's web site needs a careful update. But not this bootstrap stuff which is not usable with normal browsers without excessive scrolling.

Given that all my web sites receive the Google mobile rating
"Awesome! This page is mobile-friendly."
it's obviously possible to achieve a good ranking with minimal effort for a normal web site.

I found it helpful to follow some of the hints given by this service:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openldap.org

One of the most important things was to add this to <head> section:

I've deliberately ignored some other suggestions though.

Ciao, Michael.