Re: Enhancing back-sock to use JSON

Michael Ströder wrote:
Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
Hi Michael,

Am 08.03.2015 um 10:18 schrieb Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com>:

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
Am 19.02.2015 um 18:05 schrieb Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com>:
Dagobert Michelsen wrote:

I have made some enhancements to back-sock to use JSON for the passed data and JSON-RPC
to map LDAP calls to method invocations.

my initial reaction: the current format is just a tweaked LDIF. LDIF itself is still a more
compact format than JSON. I personally am opposed to adding any JSON dependencies to our
code base. Anyone else have an opinion?

Well, of course you are right that the LDAP presentation is more efficient.
However I think from a client perspective it would be easier not to deal
with LDIF, especially as you can choose a JSON-RPC server suitable for your
needs and have the data already available for the function and concentrate
on implementing the functionality:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON-RPC#Implementations

You assume that many people want to do JSON-RPC. IMHO that's only your
specific need. And it shouldn't be too hard for you to write an external
generic back-sock listener which translates this custom LDIF to JSON and
provide it as separate open source project.

I would happily do that, however I need some extra fields to be passed.

It seems we're getting to the interesting part.

Indeed.

I'd also like to see back-sock used as overlay to pipe requests and responses
through an external process.

It already works as an overlay.

E.g. I'd like to rewrite filters based on
authz-DN or similar but let slapd itself process the (modified) request.

Sounds like you two could start enumerating all of the parameters you would like to see added for each operation type. A final list should be submitted to the ITS as an enhancement request. Patches adding such params would be even better.