LMDB app-level crash consistency

For posterity, this is the conversation we had with the University of Wisconsin researchers behind this Usenix OSDI paper: https://www.usenix.org/conference/osdi14/technical-sessions/presentation/pillai

25/07/14 09:42 Thanumalayan Sankaranarayana Pillai wrote:
> > Hi Howard,
> >
> > Thanks for your interest in the slides. We appreciate you caring about the
> > vulnerability.
>
> The single crash vulnerability that we discovered in LMDB concerns the
> 106-byte update to the header while inserting a key-value pair (within the
> mdb_txn_commit function). Specifically, if this overwrite is not done
> atomically (i.e., if only a part of the 106 bytes goes to disk, and then a
> crash happens), then LMDB reports an error if we try to further modify the
> database after reboot. The error reported is "mdb_page_touch: Assertion
> `mp->mp_p.p_pgno != pgno' failed".
>
> We also did some manual analysis by making the loss in atomicity correspond to
> field boundaries within the information contained in those 106-bytes (such as
> free list data and transaction ID), and found that LMDB loses the previous
> transaction sometimes. For example, if the database contains Txn-1, Txn-2, and
> Txn-3, and a crash happens while inserting Txn-4, the rebooted-database might
> lose Txn-3. I have not included any such manual analysis results in the slides.
>
> I have attached a text file with a more detailed description of the
> vulnerability. If you have any questions on the details, I have CC'ed Ram, who
> actually tested LMDB for the vulnerabilities and might be able to help you
> better than me.
>
> Thus, the vulnerability in LMDB relates to the atomicity of a file overwrite
> that is within a 512-byte sector. With current (ext3/ext4/btrfs/xfs/zfs) file
> systems running atop hard drives and SSDs, this is probably not a problem.
> (The only place we have heard about that indicates atomicity might not be
> maintained here is [1]).
>
> However, byte-accessible NVRAMs in the future will probably expose this
> vulnerability. We are also not sure what happens with the multi-level storage
> stacks many people use these days (Virtual machines atop Fusion-IO-card
> connected via networks to a NAS?). In our understanding, even for these
> situations, LMDB can solve this vulnerability easily, since it has two root
> pointers.
>
> All said, since we are not particularly experts at using LMDB, there is a
> slight chance we made a mistake in how we used LMDB while testing it. Please
> let us know if you suspect this to be the case. Hope this helps!
>
> [1] http://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/kernel/0908.3/00155.html
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Thanu

25/07/14 11:38 Howard:
Thanks much for your reply. The results you describe are not too surprising;
we assume atomic sector writes. This is an area we've spent quite a lot of
time researching ourselves. I summarized our findings here last year
http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/Incoming?id=7668

Currently all hard drive/SSD manufacturers guarantee that 512 byte sector
writes are atomic. As such, failure to write the 106 byte header is not
something we account for in current LMDB releases. Also, failures of this type
should result in ECC errors in the disk sector - it should be impossible to
successfully read a sector that was written incorrectly in the ways you describe.

Even in extreme cases, the probability of failure to write the leading 128 out
of 512 bytes of a sector is nearly nil - even on very old hard drives, before
512-byte sector write guarantees. We would have to go back nearly 30 years to
find such a device, e.g.

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/quantum/Quantum_ProDrive_40S_80S_Product_Manual_Jun88.pdf

Page 23, Section 2.1
"No damage or loss of data will occur if power is applied or removed during
drive operation, except that data may be lost in the sector being written at
the time of power loss."

 From the specs on page 15, the data transfer rate to/from the platters is
1.25MB/sec, so the time to write one full sector is 0.4096ms; the time to
write the leading 128 bytes of the sector is thus 1/4 of that: 0.10ms. You
would have to be very very unlucky to have a power failure hit the drive
within this .1ms window of time. Fast-forward to present day and it's simply
not an issue.

But as you say, byte-addressable storage is coming soon. The LMDB 1.x versions
will add a checksum to the two headers, and will fallback to using the
previous header if a checksum error is found.

Thanks again for your work, looking forward to reading your full paper in the
future.

25/07/14 13:14 Thanu:
Hi Howard,

Great to know that so much thought was already put into this issue. (We
usually see people assume things about the storage stack that are simply
false, and without any notion of when they will become false if they aren't
already.) I am waiting for all the cool new things that will be on LMDB 1.0.

Thanks,
Thanu

25/07/14 13:15 Howard:
Hi again,
   looking over these vulnerabilities, they all seem unrealistic even given
the existence of byte-addressable storage devices. In particular, even if you
assume writes may be non-atomic, why do you assume that writes will be
non-sequential within a sector?

   For example, if we were talking about an HDD that did not guarantee atomic
sector writes, we still know that bytes are written sequentially from
beginning of sector to end of sector; this is one reason why the LMDB meta
page is laid out in the way that it is - the transaction ID is last because if
a partial write occurs and the txn ID doesn't make it to disk, this meta page
will be ignored and the previous one will be used automatically.

   In the tests you describe here, you have broken this sequential assumption,
but there are no storage devices in existence that can fail in the manners you
describe. And even in byte-addressable memories, DMA or memcpy routines will
always start at a low-numbered address and work sequentially higher. Do you
really believe it is important for software to protect against this type of
failure scenario?
> Found using automatic analysis
> ------------------------------
>
> Write (106 bytes) at lib/mdb.c:3227[mdb_txn_commit]. Split into three, first part (first 36 bytes) alone does not go to disk.
>
>     Error: lib/mdb.c:1921: mdb page touch: Assertion ‘mp->mp p.p pgno != pgno’ failed.
>
> Exact situations where the vulnerabilities arise, found using manual analysis
>
> 1. Only txn id gets into metapage and no other data:
>
> 	Previous transaction is lost.
>
> 2. Free list data, txn id and last page goes in but not main db details:
>
> 	Previous transaction is lost. Error: lib/mdb.c:1921: mdb page touch: Assertion ‘mp->mp p.p pgno != pgno’ failed.
>
> 3. only main db - 2 fields no free pointer:
>
> 	Error: lib/mdb.c:1921: mdb page touch: Assertion ‘mp->mp p.p pgno != pgno’ failed.
>
> 4. Everything gets in except database pointer - it is 48 bytes - but a crash happens such that second 24 bytes (which contains the root) is missed:
>
> 	Previous transaction is lost. Error: lib/mdb.c:1921: mdb page touch: Assertion ‘mp->mp p.p pgno != pgno’ failed.

25/07/14 14:03 Thanu:
Hi Howard,

To be honest, we are not yet sure whether it is important for software to
protect sequential-assumption-breaking under practical circumstances. While
byte-addressable devices might only persist things sequentially, a
byte-addressable file system itself might re-order bytes (what if the memcpy
doesn't start from the lower address?); at this point however, I am probably
being cynical and hypothesizing too much about the future.

However there is currently no standard/guarantee that (file-system-level)
writes should be sequential or atomic as far as we know. One of our goals in
doing this project is to show the entire community how non-standardized the
interaction between the application and the file system is. It is fully
possible that, by the time NVMs become main-stream, standards arise and
sector-size non-sequential (or even non-atomic) writes are disallowed. (It
might also be possible that someone invents an NVM with high parallel
bandwidth, and memcpy() explicitly parallelizes updates to contiguous bytes
for higher throughput.)

Personally, with software such as LMDB, I feel that we should simply add a
CRC, just in case future storage stacks behave in "reasonably weird" ways. I
do understand that it might be better to not do this for either readability or
performance and simply keep an eye out for any new storage stacks.

If it is not too much trouble, can you point me to any discussions about
byte-addressable storage being sequential? I have heard this mentioned once
before, but I cannot find any solid references to it. Any references to
sequentiality within HDDs will be useful as well.

Thanks,
Thanu