Re: Usage of private headers make building out-of-tree extensions painful

On Jun 1, 2012, at 5:06 AM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> As suggested by Howard, I'm posting here what have been originally submitted as an ITS:
> http://www.OpenLDAP.org/its/index.cgi?findid=7283
>
> Basically, some openldap header files not installed,

and that should remain so.

> hence considered as private seems to be needed for building out of tree extensions, such as ppolicy external password:

extensions should be built in-tree.

> checker (http://ltb-project.org/wiki/documentation/openldap-ppolicy-check-password).

Like LTB seems to do.

The problem here is you are trying to mix and match.  We've never defined an ABI, we defined an API.  Extensions should be built in tree.

Your mistake, me thinks, was asking the packager to distribute private headers... what you should have asked was for them to distribute the module built from within their OpenLDAP source tree.   If they turn you down, then switch packagers or become one yourself (build everything).

-- Kurt