Re: Socket-level timeouts?

On Apr 9, 2008, at 4:00 AM, Philip Guenther wrote:
In versions before 2.4.4, LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT had no effect. Starting in version 2.4.4 it sets the default timeout for reading the requested result in ldap_result().

This sounds like exactly what we've needed it - that ends up in poll()/ select(), both of which should handle our malevolent server scenario.

I understand the current situation but as a user it would feel more correct for LDAP_OPT_NETWORK_TIMEOUT to mean "try the next server if a response is not obtained within this time", covering the additional class of failures where an LDAP server is partially up as we cannot guarantee minute-level admin response times to restart a failing server.

Hmm, what do you think the distinction between LDAP_OPT_NETWORK_TIMEOUT and LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT should be? (Neither of which should be confused with LDAP_OPT_TIMELIMIT, of course.)

Perhaps the difference between how long it will wait for a given server to response (LDAP_OPT_NETWORK_TIMEOUT) and how long it will spend before giving up on the call (LDAP_OPT_TIMEOUT) so it will eventually time out if it can't contact any of the servers? The latter case can be useful in odd networking environments where connectivity creatively broken (e.g. a "smart" gateway which attempts to spoof any IP it thinks your laptop is using as a gateway) - while it would be if hotels stopped using that kind of stuff, laptops need to recover.

Chris