slapd size and file descriptors

After some users reported that slapd had changed size enormously between two zimbra releases, I spent some time tracking down why. Apparently, at least on linux, the startup size of slapd is directly related to the number of file descriptors it can access.

For example, with 1024 file descriptors, slapd was 18MB resident and around 100MB virtual in size. With some 550,000 file descriptors, slapd was 500MB+ virtual and 327MB resident. This seems a bit odd. Is this simply a "feature" of epoll() (I'm on a Linux 2.6 kernel)?

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer