Re: commit: ldap/servers/slapd connection.c daemon.c proto-slap.h syncrepl.c

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Howard Chu writes:
The -O2 build is faster from about 4 to 24 client threads. From 28 on
up, the nonoptimized code is faster at every load level. I was
originally using gcc 4.1.2 but I'm seeing the same result now using
gcc 4.2.2. Also, slapd is only configured with 8 worker threads in all
of these tests. Strange that whatever optimizations the compiler has
generated speeds things up for lighter load, but works against it
under heavier load.

Not really. Lots of possible optimizations are trade-offs between unguessable guesstimates - cache usage, branch prediction, whatever. Maybe some small piece of code got unluckily optimized and dominates the rest under heavy load. With a bit of luck, the difference between light and heavy runs will stand out with some sort of profiling (gprof, cachegrind, helgrind, whatever).

The difference is small enough that I'm not really concerned, just curious. Compiling with -Os to optimize space yielded about the same result as -O2. Interestingly, compiling with -O3 got a peak rate of around 39K/sec, but performance maxed out much more slowly. It took till 276 client connections before throughput finally stopped increasing. That's good news for servers that regularly have large numbers of active clients.
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com