Re: ordered indexing for integers

Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> writes:

> So far, 2.4 and 2.3 have totally identical database formats. Is it
> worthwhile to break this compatibility to gain this feature, or better
> to preserve compatibility and ignore this feature for now? Any thoughts
> on going ahead with it here in RE24?

I say go for it.  It's early in the 2.4 lifecycle, not many people will
have upgraded yet, and I expect a lot of people, when upgrading to 2.4, to
take advantage of the opportunity to go to a newer version of BerkeleyDB
and therefore have to dump and restore their database anyway.
(Distributions in particular will want to try to minimize the number of
BerkeleyDB libraries they keep around, and if 4.6 works properly, there's
a strong motivation to drop 4.2.)