Re: portable.h contents in back-monitor (Was: [Fwd: commit: ldap/servers/slapd/back-monitor...)

At 10:45 AM 1/12/2006, Howard Chu wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>>At 10:13 AM 1/12/2006, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>>
>>>For flags passed via environment, build tools and so on, we could print
>>>the value of relevant vars, like CC, CPP, FLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and
>>>so.
>>
>>We could stringify config.status into a variable...
>>

>Yeah, that would probably cover everything. I think it would be a bit too much.

Depends on the kind of issue your are trying to resolve.  If your
trying to determine whether slapd is using nanosleep instead of
select for yielding, then you need the detail.  If all you want
to know is if the server is built with SASL support, then, yes,
just a simple capability flag should be enough.

>Getting the other tools and flags starts to go down a rathole; fully qualified paths to various tools and such still aren't going to tell you much if you're not looking at the same machine on which the build was done, and extracting from config.status of course can't capture any overrides on the make invocation.

Nor does it capture Makefile hacks.

Which is also why the OL_DEFINE approach won't work well.
Some folks use environment flags (or other hacks) to
override what configure produces.

So, maybe we just do a simple capabilities list.