LDAP_DEPRECATED in 2.3.X

Hi,

The 2.3 releases don't define LDAP_DEPRECATED anymore. This causes problems
with a lot of non-OpenLDAP software and I expect that many users of
libldap are not too happy about that especially because the man-pages for
many of the non-deprecated function are missing or just refer to the
deprecated calls (in fact I wonder why nobody has complained here
yet :) ).

I know this has been discussed here already some time ago. And for most of
the deprecated calls I understand the reasons for deprecating them (e.g.
no support for controls or in case of ldap_simple_bind no support for
password containing zero-values octets). But for some calls (e.g. for
ldap_init() and ldap_value_free() ) I wonder what the reasoning was to
deprecate them. Could someone clarify this for me?

BTW, even some of the OpenLDAP commandline tools (ldapsearch, -modify, ...)
still use some of the deprecated functions (though mostly only
ldap_perror).

--
regards,
	Ralf