rename across trees: manageDIT?

I'm designing a procedure to allow transparent renaming across trees by
means of a proxy; I'm at the point where I'd like to be able to preserve
things like the entryUUID, the creatorsName and the createTimestamp.  In
fact, the client must not be aware of the fact that the database is
actually located in multiple servers - the DSA is distributed for
architectural reasons but it has to be seen as a unique system, hence the
need to allow transparent renames.  I'm currently up to the point where a
client with a superadministration identity must be able to do this rename,
but the proxy tools don't let it occur because they strip operational
attributes from writes that do not occur with a shadow update identity,
and I don't want to add code to fool them like that.

So I'm looking at the manageDIT control.  I sounds reasonable that the
proxy tools (back-ldap, back-meta, slapo-rwm) let (some) noUserMod
attributes be passed along with a write operation if it happens under the
umbrella of the manageDIT control, wouldn't it?  Comments?

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it