Re: ldap_<set/get>_option() weirdness

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

At 08:05 PM 7/19/2005, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

ldap_set_option() and ldap_get_option() have many strange behaviors.
Which of these should I document, which should be changed, and which
options and nuances below should just be omitted from the man page?

(I'm reading some libldap source and
doc/drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-xx.txt.)

* ldap.conf vs. C API:

ldap.conf options BINDDN, BASE, PORT have no equivalent C API calls.

ldap.conf options SASL_AUTHCID, SASL_AUTHZID, SASL_MECH, SASL_REALM
cannot be set with the C API.

I think it would be a very good idea to make all options settable in ldap.conf also settable through C API .
Otherwise OpenLDAP forces all applications that use libldap to also use ldap.conf, which might be unacceptable when an application has own configuration system.

Such a program can simply make API calls that don't rely on defaults. For instance by not providing NULL as a binddn argument to ldap_bind(3).

Of course this doesn't work for some SASL/TLS options which are not settable through C API, e.g. SASL realm.

That is, programs are not forced to use ldap.conf(5).

What I don't like is that libldap tries to find and read ldap.conf automatically. Is there any way to control that?

They can disable the
defaulting and still obtain full functionality.

Alexey