Re: Libtool library linking (ITS#3776)

At 05:03 PM 6/28/2005, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>This particular change in behavior is really impacting my ability to easily
>build OpenLDAP.

It's unclear to me how this change is behavior might be due to
any of the minor changes between 2.3.3 beta, 2.3.4, and current
HEAD.  libtool, for instance, is identical across these revisions.

>I'm curious as to why OpenLDAP 2.3.4 suddenly started
>linking against libltdl when the beta releases didn't do this,

Have you tried the beta release recently?  Maybe it's your
system/environment/configure-options that's changed.

>and no
>version of OpenLDAP 2.1, OpenLDAP 2.2, or any checkouts of HEAD I worked
>with prior to OpenLDAP 2.3.4 being released did either.
>
>Is there a particular purpose this linking serves?  My libtool is in a
>non-standard location, and so are the libtool header and library.  slapd
>being forced to link against this library makes it completely unusable for
>me once it is compiled.

If you have enabled dynamic modules (--enable-modules) or
SLAPI (--enable-slapi), libltdl is required.  It's been that
way for quite some time.

Kurt