Re: backend overlays

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

I'd consider providing a mechanism (e.g. a sort of generalization of backover.c) that allows those overlays that use internal databases and are willing to allow overlay stacking to inject a slap_overinfo structure in place of the original BackendInfo; then, something like

proxycache-overlay syncprov
proxycache-syncprov-sessionlog 100

could be used to access the configuration of that overlay. By using a hierarchical configuration directive pattern we should be able to propagate this to an arbitrary number of layers. The directives would look quite odd, but at least we don't need to change the style of the configuration; of course, nested parentheses would be a big plus:

database ldap
overlay proxycache {
   proxycache hdb ...
   overlay syncprov {
       sessionlog 100
   }
}

On the subject of hierarchical configuration directives - you can start looking at the behavior of back-config. It's still extremely incomplete. If you want to see what's currently visible, add
database config
rootpw <something>
to your slapd.conf; the suffix and rootdn are hardcoded to "cn=config".

There is no write/modify support here yet. It's taking a long time just to implement all of the read support...