overlay and failover

I'm playing with overlays, and I need to deal with errors
while doing some DN/attr rewrite/remap.  If I need to return
an error result from inside an over_op_func(), I cannot use
send_ldap_*() funcs because they try to call the overlay
response infrastructure, which is corrupted because
over_op_func() puts its own copy of the backend data/info
in op->o_bd.  If I simply return an error code, the client
hangs. What is the suggested approach, or how could
we implement a mechanism to abort an operation from inside
an overlay?  Am I missing anything?

Ando.

--
Pierangelo Masarati