RE: back-bdb DB_RECOVER and soft restart

Because only one process can have a write lock on a file, while many can
have a read lock. Also, a write lock cannot be obtained if any other process
has a read lock. If all processes using the BDB environment place read locks
on the lock file while they are using the environment, on exit a process can
tell if it's the last process using the BDB environment because it will be
able to obtain a write lock. It then truncates the lock file to zero length
to mark a clean shutdown and exits.

Demoting a write lock to a read lock at that point signals that the recovery
has completed and that other processes can use the BDB environment.

> Besides, if you will use libraries/liblutil/lockf.c:lutil_lockf, that
> may use lockf() which only supports 'locks', not 'read/write locks'.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into that.

> --
> Hallvard

Matthew Hardin
Symas Corporation
Packaged, certified, and supported LDAP software:
http://www.symas.net/download