Re: backend documentation

At 01:33 PM 6/26/2003, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>Considering the number of requests for help with configuration of the
>bdb backend, I'd like to add a few words comparing bdb and ldbm in the
>documentation:

back-ldbm offers far less features and hence is far easier to configure,
but both "take some care" to configure.  In the backends section,
I think it very important to point out that back-ldbm does not offer the
same level of data durability as back-bdb.

>man/man5/slapd-bdb.5:
>  The BDB backend to slapd is the recommended backend for a normal slapd
>  database.
>+ However, unlike the ldbm backend, it takes some care to configure it
>+ properly.
>  It uses the Sleepycat Berkeley DB (BDB) package to store data.  (...)
>
>man/man5/slapd-ldbm.5:
>- The LDBM backend to slapd is a database which uses one of BerkeleyDB,
>- GNU DBM, MDBM or NDBM to store data.
>+ This is the database backend which is easiest to configure.
>+ It uses one of BerkeleyDB, GNU DBM, MDBM or NDBM to store data.

s/GNU DBM/GDBM/ as that is what is generally known as.
Don't list NDBM as it is not supported.
Don't list MDBM as it is experimental, platform specific, and generally
not supported.

>+ It uses fewer features of Berkeley DB than the bdb backend.

I would replace this with:
        The LDBM backend to slapd does not offer data durability features
        of the BDB backend.

The above suggestions are applicable to the text below as well.

>BACKENDS
>     The following backends can be compiled into slapd:
>
>     bdb  This is the recommended  backend  for  a  normal  slapd
>          database.   However,  unlike the ldbm backend, it takes
>          some care  to  configure  it  properly.   It  uses  the
>          Sleepycat  Berkeley DB (BDB) package to store data.  It
>          makes extensive use of indexing and  caching  to  speed
>          data access.
>
>     ldbm This is  the  database  backend  which  is  easiest  to
>          configure.  It uses one of BerkeleyDB, GNU DBM, MDBM or
>          NDBM to store data.  It uses fewer features of Berkeley
>          DB  than  the  bdb  backend.  It makes extensive use of
>          indexing and caching to speed data access.
>
>     dnssrv
>          This  backend  serves  up  referrals  based  upon   SRV
>          resource records held in the Domain Name System.

This backend is experimental.