RE: back-bdb future

>Before we go down that path, what do you think about using a lock timeout?
>(Have you already tried this?) You can set a separate timeout in the
DB_ENV
>for txn locks and regular locks. I suggest we only set one or the other.
>Setting a timeout for the txn  locks may be easiest, because we already
have
>the retry logic in place.

It seems that deadlock freedom is not guaranteed if a DB access
is outside transaction when we use the BDB transactional store.
The deadlock case in 8 way machine is somewhat strange.
It was only search threads that were attempting to open the index database.
If deadlock occurs among search threads, timeout for txns would not help.
Any idea why only search threads reach deadlock ?
Unless we use CDB, even search only case not free from deadlock ?
- Jong