ldapmodify "daemon"

I'm patching ldapmodify to have an option to run as a kind of daemon:
For each LDIF record you write to its stdin, it responds immediately
after the modify request completed with the operation's result code, its
name, and the error string on one line to stdout.  Thus, a program can
invoke ldapmodify, feed it LDIF records and react to the results, or a
wrapper program can authenticate and encrypt the connection and run
ldapmodify as a true "LDIF daemon".

Is there general interest in such an option, or should I just make it a
private hack?

Can someone come up with a brief help text for usage() and suggest a
manpage description?  It's wrong to call it a "daemon" since it is not
listening to a port or anything, but I don't know what else to call it.

An additional option: I imagine it could be useful to have the reject
file be stdout, if ldapmodify is run as a daemon.  So I'll let '-S -'
mean that failed LDIF records are appended to the initial status/error
message.  With this option, each response will end with a blank line.

--
Hallvard