Re: connection pooling in back-ldap?

   Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:12:00 -0700
   From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
[...]
   I would argue that the library should better support threading.
   Even if you use the async API, you still have a problem in
   that application would need to poll for results if it also
   wants to asynchronously send requests.  One can, of course,
   grab the socket descriptor and use select(2) to determine when
   to poll for results (e.g., call ldap_result() with an immediate
   timeout)... but even here you end up problems if the descriptor
   would have get write blocked.  Basically, the async send
   may interfere with the applications select(2).  This all would
   not be for the faint of heart...

Oh, I agree that the library can and should support threading
better. But a lot of the problems you mention are really the result of
the lack of a widespread Unix event model. async i/o sucks under Unix
and I'm not totally optimistic for the future.

Larry