Making the DN of the Subschema (sub)entry configurable

Dear OpenLDAP Developers,

I have a question regarding the "Distinguished Name of the subschema
entry (or subentry) which controls the schema for [a] entry" (RFC2551).
In the openldap slapd, this DN is always "cn=Subschema". I would like
to know if you think that it would be a good idea to allow
administrators to set this DN in some config file (I mean, other than
ldap_defaults.h ;-).

The reason why I would like to see such a feature is the following.
Assume that I have a DIT, the branches of which are hosted on different
ldap servers. If I was able to set the DN of the subschema entry to
something like dn: cn=Subschema,<base-dn for this server> on each of
the servers, it would be possible for a client to transparently get the
correct schema information for each entry.

Do you think that such a feature would be something desirable, or would
it conflict with any of the standards? I think I could implement it,
even though thorough checking of such a patch would be necessary, since
I feel myself somewhat C-illiterate.

Thank you for your great and invaluable work,

Hans

--
Hans.Aschauer@Physik.uni-muenchen.de