RE: SASL EXTERNAL

The RFC states that after December 31 2003 all certificate DNs are required
to be in UTF8 encoding. That is a MUST. The reference to TeletexString is a
SHOULD, and implementations are allowed to disregard it.

The difficulty is that there is no way to tell whether a given TeletexString
is actually in the conformant T.61 encoding or in the non-conformant
ISO-8859-1 encoding. Since these encodings have incompatible mappings in the
0x80-0xff character range, you obviously can't have both at once.

I've just searched thru the OpenSSL library to see how they handle the
character set mapping issues. This is in crypto/asn1/a_mbstr.c, and they
just assume the Unicode character set is being used, there is no code that
actually manages the T.61 character set rules. I guess since they will never
give us a certificate whose DN was encoded in actual T.61 form, I'm
satisfied to ignore the T.61 rules and just use ISO 8859-1 instead.