RE: FW: Modify performance improvement for back-ldbm and back-bdb (ITS#1526)

Looks like what I had in mind. I think there may be an issue with back-ldbm,
since it caches entries; the flags need to be cleared on the save_attrs when
there is an error. I can take care of that with the current patch.

This code has drawn my attention to the fact that back-ldbm doesn't recover
gracefully from indexing errors. I.e., when indexing attributes in a modify, if
there is an error, the indices are not restored to their original state. This
problem doesn't affect back-bdb since the transaction mechanism directly
handles
this issue. I don't know what possible situations could arise to cause this
kind of failure, and whether it is even possible to manually reset an index
when it
has already failed to update. Yet another reason to bang on back-bdb and get it
to production level.