free vs. ber_memfree

I'm experiencing some memory problems in HEAD code; I'm not able to track
them with some efence or other tool because they seem to show up misleading
errors. I also note that there might be an inconsistent use of free
and ber_memfree in HEAD code which should be clarified (libraries also
use LDAP_FREE and LBER_FREE which are macros that invoke the two
functions depending on some CSRIMALLOC #define which I don't know about.
Is there any documentation on how dynamic memory should be handled
throughout the package?

Thanks, Ando.