Re: should one single search be able to encompass several databases?

Stig Venaas wrote:

> I'm not sure if the subject is clear. The situation I'm thinking of is
> something like this:
>
> You create one database with suffix say dc=test,dc=com, and another with
> suffix dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com. If someone does a subtree search with base
> dc=test,dc=com, should the search also be done in the dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com
> database? I think maybe it should, but it doesn't now, and I suspect it's
> hard to implement. Should we implement this, or should we simply say that
> people must put it all in one database?
>
> One way to work around this is of course to have a referral for
> dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com in the dc=test,dc=com database. This is possible
> if it is added before configuring the dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com database.

Stig,

of course you can't, because if the backend with suffix "dc=test,dc=com"
comes first, you'll never be able to access the one with suffix
"dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com", and if the latter comes first you'll be able
to access it only if you come in straight with a search base
of "dc=hr,dc=test,dc=com" or higher.  One clean (from the client's side,
but a bit involved from the server side) chance to get what you're
looking for is with a back-meta that proxies the two backends.

See discussions in earlier mails this month
( http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200107/msg00125.html
and the related thread), and read servers/slapd/back-meta/Documentation
for more detailed hints on how to configure it.

Cheers, Ando.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it