Re: National Language Support Library

>Julius Enarusai wrote:

>> IBM would like to contribute a library which can be used to add
>> localization support to OpenLDAP. The library includes:
>>
>> 1. a set of routines used to construct XPG4 compliant catalogs from a
>> text file.
>> 2. a set of routines used to retrieve messages from the an XPG4
>> compliant catalog file.
>> 3. an initial Message Catalog for slapd, which can be expanded as more
>> error codes/messages are added to slapd.
>>
>> If this library is accepted by the community and incorporated into
>> OpenLDAP, it will provide the following benefits:
>>
>> 1. ability to log LDAP error and informational messages in the user's
>> local language.
>> 2. ability for LDAP client applications developers to customize LDAP
>> error and informational messages.
>> 3. ability for LDAP client applications developers to add their own
>> error codes/messages and use a common interface to retrieve their
>> messages.
>>
>> Therefore I am requesting feedback from the community to see if this
>> library would be beneficial to OpenLDAP.

>As an "international user" and developer I find it very interesting
>and attractive.
>However, I think I'd need to have an example of the impact this is
>going to have on the server and on the library. Could you please
>add some details?
>

>Regards, Pierangelo.
>

>Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
>Dip. Ing. Aerospaziale                | fax:   +39 02 2399 8334
>Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it
>via La Masa 34, 20156 Milano, Italy   | http://www.aero.polimi.it/~masarati

I'm working on a detailed proposal, (including the source code) which will be ready in a couple of days. However, the initial plan is to introduce this library on the client side. For example, when a user calls the ldap_err2string() function with an error code, such as LDAP_REFERRAL_LIMIT_EXCEEDED, they would receive the string "Referral Limit Exceeded" in the response, which is the English Language message for that error code. With this library, the caller would get a response in their local language (if their local language is supported).

Julius Enarusai
Directory Services,
IBM Linux Technology Center
Phone: 856-722-6569