Continuation references with empty dn

I want to have a continuation reference to a server where the dn is
empty (I want the base of the new search to be ""). According to RFC
2251 the dn part must be present in the URL, so when the URL is just
"ldap://host/"; I would think of that as the dn being "".

When the reference is followed, it should then use "" as the base I
think, rather than the original base which is what OpenLDAP
currently does.

I was wondering if I could simply change re_encode_request where it
says:

        if ( *dnp == NULL ) {
                *dnp = orig_dn;
        } else {
                LDAP_FREE( orig_dn );
        }

but this is perhaps the preferred behavior of re_encode_request in
other cases?

Stig