Replication - Persitent search - What to do???

Hello.

I'm working on a project where I have to replicate data from an LDAP server
(when it is inserted, modified or deleted) to an Oracle database.  I'm not
sure which LDAP server I'll be using (it's not up to me) but what I do need
to find out is which way is the best way to be notified of changes to the
LDAP data and replicate it to my Oracle database.

I have two things in mind, later I'll tell you what I like and dislike
about each solution:
1)  Use "persistent search" to be notified of changes made to the LDAP
server.  Then I can write the changes to my Oracle database as soon as I
get notified of changes.
2)  Make a customized LDAP server and make the Master LDAP replicate itself
to my customized server.  My custom server would then somehow make sure
that the changes were replicated to the Oracle database.

Ok... so now to the pros and cons of each solution.

1) Persistent search is not yet in any RFC that I know of.  It is only a
draft which means that it's subject to changes and may even be invalidated
without further notice.  Another con is that it requires an open TCP
connection between the client and server.  This is not good since this
means the connection would basically be open all the time, which in turn
means that it's not a question of if, but when the connection will fail.
This problem would need to be addressed in a manner I'm not completely
familiar with.  The PRO (written with capitals because it is a HUGE
advantage!) is that this solution is very easy to implement.

2) CON (again written in capitals because this is a HUGE disadvantage!) is
that this solution is very difficult to implement and would require major
programming!  But the pros are that this solution is very robust
(replication between two servers are standardized and I guess I could rely
on that) and would offer minimized latency for replication.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... it would be great to hear from
people who have had the same problem... I KNOW that this is not an isolated
case.

Kind regards, Stefan.
Stefan Freyr Stefansson
Software Developer
OZ.COM

- Did you know that in the new IP protocol (IPv6) there are enough IP
addresses to give each protone on earth an IP address!  That's just about
3.7 million billion IP addresses per each square meter on the face of the
earth.  Now that's a lot of IP!