RE: Building a DLL for MSVC5/6

> From: Gary Williams [mailto:sasgwi@wnt.sas.com]
>
> I'm going to start looking into this unless someone else is
> taking it on.
>
> Howard, I know you worked on the mingw32 port.  Anything you
> learned that might be applicable to this project would be
> appreciated.

The only crucial point is to keep track of which symbols are dllimports and
which are dllexports in a given module. The mingw32 work already does this,
so you should be able to take advantage of that. I suspect that with the
work we've already checked in, getting MSVC DLL support going will be pretty
easy.

It seems to me that libtool would need to be extended or replaced for the
MSVC environment. It looked like a lot of work to get the current
Makefile.in files usable with MSVC and nmake...