Re: 2.0-alpha and Solaris 7

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> I committed a number of changes to the pthread detection code which might
> make things better... then again, they might cause great grief.  All
> platforms are affected by the change. Please test.

Dropping "configure" rev 1.232 onto OpenLDAP 2.0-alpha and running it without
any "--with-threads" param at all (and no fiddling of LIBS or other
environment variables) produces:

checking for pthread.h... yes
checking for sched.h... yes
checking POSIX thread version... final
checking for LinuxThreads pthread.h... no
checking for pthread_create in default libraries... no
checking for pthread link with -mt... no
checking for pthread link with -kthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -mthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -thread... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach -lexc -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -Wl,-woff,85... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread... yes
checking for sched_yield... no
checking for pthread_yield... no
checking for sched_yield in -lrt... yes
checking for pthread_kill... yes
checking for pthread_detach with <pthread.h>... yes
checking for pthread_setconcurrency... yes
checking for pthread_getconcurrency... yes
checking for thr_setconcurrency... yes
checking for thr_getconcurrency... yes
checking for pthread_kill_other_threads_np... no
checking for LinuxThreads implementation... no
checking for LinuxThreads consistency... no
checking if pthread_create() works... yes
checking if select yields when using pthreads... yes
checking for thread specific errno... yes
checking for thread specific h_errno... yes

Checking the top-level Makefile shows LTHREAD_LIBS set to:

  -lpthread -lrt

Prima facie, this looks cool.  Environ is Sol7/SPARC and gcc 2.8.1.  I'd
better wait for the release of "alpha2" before pushing this too much harder,
to ensure that I'm chasing a genuine problem as opposed to one caused by
mixing 'n' matching revs.

Thanks, Kurt.  I'll get to your other queries as soon as I can (though it
might make sense to move them into the context of "alpha2", too, to see if the
questions still hold).

Cheers..

dave