Re: Root DSE

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Julio Sánchez Fernández wrote:

> I have committed initial support for the Root DSA-Specific Entry.
>
> The only attributes that give an answer are namingContexts and
> supportedLDAPVersion.  I hope I have interpreted correctly the
> RFCs.

Great!

> I would appreciate that people compared the output of the DSE to
> that given by other servers and/or point me to public v3 servers
> (no, Bigfoot does not count, it is the strangest server I've ever
> seen).

memberdir.netscape.com and ldap.baylor.edu. I believe both are Netscape
servers. Well, one of them definitely is :-)

The public directory services that run LDAP servers tend to play fast
and loose with standards. Between four11, bigfoot, whowhere and infospace,
I think I've seen every rule in the book broken. Both four11 and whowhere,
for example, have referrals to ldap.itd.umich.edu!

Bert Vermeulen
bert@biot.com