Berkeley DB Reinvestigated

Hi folks,

I have re-investigated the Thread Problem, I had with Berkeley DB 2.x on
my Linux platform. As it turned out, the code was correct in Sleepycat's
package, but I had a configuration problem. Together with Sleepycat's
developers I found, that the DB package itself has to be build with thread
support configured. Sleepycat's configure tool will do that for you behind
the scenes, but in the version as provided up to 2.6.4b only for SUN
Solaris, IRIX, OSF/1 (2.3.16), and FreeBSD (2.6.4). On the Linux platform
the pre-processor flag -D_REENTRANT must be specified via the CPPFLAGS
environment variable, while at the same time the compiler flag -ansi has
NOT to be given. Building the package (after make distclean) with, e.g.

  CC=gcc CPPFLAGS=-D_REENTRANT ../dist/configure ...

should do the job. After configure, check that the spinlocks are found
correctly as x86/gcc.

This need for the _REENTRANT flag was not covered in Sleepycat's
documentation, appropriately. Here, they only had hints for building
applications (like the OpenLDAP package), but not for the DB itself.
I think, they will update the docs, accordingly.

I have deleted the db.2.64.patch and db.2.64.patch.README files from
OpenLDAP's build subdirectory, and instead added a db.2.x.README file
to indicate the above situation.

Sleepycat's developers have promised to release the 2.6.5 version as the
next stable version in the near future, so that it might be possible to
shift to that version. Running the OpenLDAP test-suite reveals no further
problem, as to what is used from the DB in the current release and -devel
trunk. I will check that with Kurt Zeilenga very soon now. The current
code will already accept both versions without further configuration
options during the OpenLDAP build.

Regards,

Kurt Spanier (ksp@openldap.org)

----------==========#########>>>>>ZDV<<<<<#########==========----------

X.500:                                              Tel.:
   Kurt Spanier, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,      +49 7071 29-70334
   Universitaet Tuebingen, DE
SMTP-Mail:                                          FAX.:
   kurt.spanier@zdv.uni-tuebingen.de                   +49 7071 29-5912
Snail-Mail:
   Dr. Kurt Spanier, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,
   Universitaet Tuebingen, Waechterstrasse 76, D-72074 Tuebingen
PGP-Public-Key:
   finger "Kurt Spanier"@x500.uni-tuebingen.de