[ldapext] HTTP and LDAP URLs as attr values in LDIF (was: referencing one LDIF file from another)

Howard Chu wrote:
> What do you think about using a URL here instead of a simple filename?

While we're at it I'd like to cite from RFC2849:

      6) When a URL is specified in an attrval-spec, the following
          conventions apply:

         a) Implementations SHOULD support the file:// URL format.  The
            contents of the referenced file are to be included verbatim
            in the interpreted output of the LDIF file.
         b) Implementations MAY support other URL formats.  The
            semantics associated with each supported URL will be
            documented in an associated Applicability Statement.

Do such applicability statements exist for HTTP and LDAP URLs? If not a
new revision of RFC2849 should say more about this.

In my LDIF module I include content referenced by http:// just like that
of file:// URLs. The HTTP body of an HTTP response is included as a
single attribute value.

With LDAP URLs I'd propose that one should only retrieve content when
the LDAP URL references exactly one attribute of a single entry.
Multiple values of an attribute should all be included.

What do you think about it?

Ciao, Michael.

--
Michael Ströder