Re: two slapd processes accessing one MDB env

On 1/17/20 11:12 AM, Ondřej Kuzník wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 11:07:01AM +0100, Ondřej Kuzník wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 04:08:28PM +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
>>> HI!
>>>
>>> I vaguely remember that it's possible that two slapd processes can
>>> access a single MDB env.
>>>
>>> Is that supported?
>>> Any pre-cautions needed?
>>
>> I think if you were to configure both of them as a syncrepl consumer,
>> that might cause some headaches?
>
> Also if either of them is a syncrepl provider, probably make sure that
> no other server is accepting writes to this db file, I can imagine
> (refreshAndPersist) scenarios that might leave you unhappy otherwise.

I guess you mean conflicts when generating entryCSN values? Good point.

The problem to be solved:

If a back-sock listener configured as overlay also needs access to some
LDAP entries then I have a loop in the frontend LDAP thread pool. This
possibly blocks. So my plan was to setup a shadow slapd and access the
database via this (separate LDAP thread pool).

In the simplest form there would only be read access. But OATH-LDAP's
HOTP validator would also need to update some attributes.

Ciao, Michael.