switching to containers, slapd tuning?

I have now setups with vm's with a local slapd and nscd for caching authentication requests. If I separate these processes eg. different container for slapd, different container for the application that does system authentication. I will not be able to share cache memory etc.

 I was wondering if I would ever be able to come near this performance with direct communication between slapd and the application (thus without something like nscd) and how to tune slapd.