Re: Q: Multiple accesslog overlays?

--On Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:19 PM +0200 Geert Hendrickx <geert@hendrickx.be> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 08:54:43 -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Monday, August 19, 2019 1:21 PM +0200 Ulrich Windl wrote:
> I have a question preparing a transition of syncrepl to delta-syncrepl:
> Our database already has an accesslog overlay (olcAccessLogOps: writes)
> and a corresponding database configured for monitoring purposes.

You haven't noted the value for olcAccessLogSuccess.  Generally for
delta-syncrepl *only* databases, this is set to TRUE.  However, that's
not mandatory (see the end for why).

Incidentally, we just toggled olcAccessLogSuccess to FALSE on a database
last week, to debug a provisioning issue where the client did not log
enough details.  But our failed writes were still not logged.

Turns out that writes failed by an overlay (slapo-unique in our case) are
only logged to the accesslog, if this overlay is defined in the config
BEFORE the accesslog overlay (as overlays are loaded on a stack, see topic
12.18 in the admin guide).  So we now put the accesslog overlay as last
instead of first.

Hm, which is against best practices because it can cause other issues, IIRC (which is why it's advised to have syncprov followed by accesslog, as the first 2 overlays in the stack). This is something that needs redoing for 2.5.

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<http://www.symas.com>