Re: Q: Multiple accesslog overlays?

--On Monday, August 19, 2019 1:21 PM +0200 Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

Hi!

I have a question preparing a transition of syncrepl to delta-syncrepl:
Our database already has an accesslog overlay (olcAccessLogOps: writes)
and a corresponding database configured for monitoring purposes.

You haven't noted the value for olcAccessLogSuccess. Generally for delta-syncrepl *only* databases, this is set to TRUE. However, that's not mandatory (see the end for why).

Now that
delta syncreply also requires an accesslog overlay/database with somewhat
different setting compared to the existing database, I wonder whether
it's possible (and practically being used/proven to work) to have
multiple accesslog overlays.

Since each overlay instantiation specifically defines which accesslog database to log to, yes you can do this, but...

Thinking about it, I also wonder whether both needs for accesslog could
be satisfied with one accesslog database, just using different LDAP
filters. I guess the delta syncreply is using the acesslog database in a
read-only manner (our monitoring also does), so it might actually work.

The accesslog DB is read-only by definition. But yes, as long as writes are being logged, then you could use it for delta-syncrepl. The filter on the consumer side already limits it to only consume successful write ops:

logfilter="(&(objectClass=auditWriteObject)(reqResult=0))"

Regards,
Quanah

Product Architect
Symas Corporation