Antw: Re: Username case

Nachricht <59A1EC7FB57F5649201E5D92@[192.168.1.144]>:

> ‑‑On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 4:25 PM +0000 JC <lovecraftesque@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Now it seems to be the case that, with a user entry in OpenLDAP as
>> described above, getpwnam("james") will look for an entry such that the
>> its uid attribute takes the value "james". I.e. if the value of uid is,
>> say, "James" then it will be ignored. Which, following the discussion
>> above, doesn't fit my goal.
>
> The "uid" attribute is explicitly defined to be case insensitive in
> RFC1274, see section 9.3.1 "userid".  This is reflected in the OpenLDAP
> core schema:
>
> #attributetype ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1
> #   NAME ( 'uid' 'userid' )
> #   DESC 'RFC1274: user identifier'
> #   EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
> #   SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch
> #   SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15{256} )

However UNIX is not case-insensitive. We had the case that entering a valid
user's name in capital letters (dammed Shift-lock key) caused an authentication
failure, and nscd in turn cached that (case-insensitively), so after that even
entering the user name in lower case caused a (cached) authentication failure.
(I had tried to convince support that this is a  bug in nscd, but failed to
convince them)

So be warned: UNIX is not case-insensitive!

Regards,
Ulrich