Re: OpenLDAP 2.5 plans and community engagement

--On Tuesday, August 06, 2019 9:27 PM -0400 David Magda <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:
You mention binary packages on the website:

The FAQ explicitly states:

"Official releases are in source form only." I don't know how that could be any clearer.

While things like MariaDB/PostgreSQL packages are in various distros,
those projects provide repos that people can use with yum/apt to get the
latest versions. Providing 'official' first-party packages, at least
for RHEL/CentOS and perhaps Ubuntu (LTS), would go a long way towards
allowing people to have all the newest bug fixes.

Ryan Tandy already provides backports for Ubuntu: <https://launchpad.net/~rtandy/+archive/ubuntu/openldap-backports>

The LTB project already provides builds for RHEL7: <https://ltb-project.org/documentation/openldap-rpm#yum_repository>

Symas already provides a freedrop in replacements for RHEL7, with optional support: <https://symas.com/linuxopenldap/>

People who write the list are already provided the information on these options. What would the project having yet another build of the same things provide?

So 2015 was quite product, but most of 2016-2017... not so much.

2015 had a lot of serious bugs in its release, the releases were rushed, and the result of rushing was bad. I don't think 2015 is a "good" example of how things should be done.

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<http://www.symas.com>